Nasi Lemak is one of the most famous national dish of Malaysia. Will be a shame for Malaysian if if never try to cook & prepare delicious Nasi Lemak by their own. The good Nasi Lemak will be fulfill with the flavor and the right ingredients, giving the best & marvelous taste of Nasi Lemak.
The original Malaysia Nasi Lemak Recipe will use pandan leaves/screwpine leaves in the main ingredient . This ingredients will give highly fragrant floral smell, the signature aroma of Nasi Lemak Malaysia. The other main ingredient of nasi lemak Malaysia is dried anchovies and little salted fish are used in the Nasi Lemak Malaysia spice paste or locally know as “sambal”
Malaysia Nasi Lemak Recipi
- Coconut Milk Steamed Rice
- 2 cups of rice
- 3 screwpine leaves and tie them into a knot
- Salt to taste
- 1 small can of coconut milk (5.6 oz size)
- Some water
- 1 cup of water
- Tamarind pulp (size of a small ping pong ball)
Dried Anchovies Paste (Sambal Nasi Lemak Malaysia):
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 cup dried anchovies
- 1 clove garlic
- 4 shallots
- 10 dried chillies
- 1 teaspoon prawn paste
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 2 hard boiled eggs and cut into half
- 3 small fish (sardines or smelt fish)
- 1 small cucumber (cut into slices and then quartered)
Method to prepare Nasi Lemak Malaysia:
- Just like making steamed rice, rinse your rice and drain. Add the coconut milk, a pinch of salt, and some water. Add the screwpine leaves into the rice and cook your rice.
- Rinse the dried anchovies and drain the water. Fry the anchovies until they turn light brown and put aside.
- Pound the prawn paste together with shallots, garlic, and deseeded dried chilies with a mortar and pestle. You can also grind them with a food processor.
- Slice the red onion into rings.
- Soak the tamarind pulp in water for 15 minutes. Squeeze the tamarind constantly to extract the flavor into the water. Drain the pulp and save the tamarind juice.
- Heat some oil in a pan and fry the spice paste until fragrant.
- Add in the onion rings.
- Add in the dried anchovies and stir well.
- Add tamarind juice, salt, and sugar.
- Simmer on low heat until the gravy thickens. Set aside.
- Clean the small fish, cut them into half and season with salt. Deep fry.
- Cut the cucumber into slices and then quartered into four small pieces.
- Dish up the steamed coconut milk rice and pour some sambal ikan bilis on top of the rice.
- Serve Nasi Lemak Malaysia with with Dried anchovies Paste fried fish, cucumber slices, and hard-boiled eggs.