Gardening Activities You Can Do With Your Kids
Maintaining a garden can be quite challenging for many. You need to do various things, such as using a healthy soil, controlling weeds, disinfesting your gardentools, and ensuring termite control to keep your garden healthy. Fortunately, there is afun side in gardening, too. There are many amusing garden activities that you can do with your kids. Read on and let your kids get crafty by doing the following gardening activities and projects.
Egg Carton Greenhouse
Who would have thought that egg carton has other function apart from holding eggs? Egg carton can be turn into a planter! Here’s how:
- What You’ll Need:
- old egg carton
- seeds of your preference
- seed starting soil
- small waterproof tray
- clothes pin
- In a bowl, put the seed starting soil and spray some water on it. Make sure to achieve a damp texture, not a dripping one. Doing this means that you do not need to water the seed once you already place it on the egg carton.
- Then, keep mixing the soil until it hardens and sticks with your hand.
- Fill your egg carton with the seed starting soil. Make sure to leave at least a centimeter between the top of the soil and the rim of the carton. There should be enough space since the seed needs a room to grow.
- Then, plant your desired seeds. Remember that the seeds need a securecontact with the soil.
- To set up the greenhouse, place the egg carton on your small waterproof tray. Make sure that your chosen tray will fit inside a plastic bag since you will be placing the tray inside the plastic bag.
- Then, pull up the two side of the plastic bag and close it.
- Using the clothes pin, lift the two sides of the plastic bag. This trick will help the interior’s temperature to rise, which encourages the growth of your seedlings.
- Lastly, make sure to place your egg carton greenhouse in sunny position.
Painted Garden Markers
- What You’ll Need:
- medium-sized and big rocks (smooth)
- acrylic, gouache, or tempera paints (color of your preference)
- outdoor vanish
- paint brush
- When choosing paint, pick color that will suit on the fruit or vegetable that you want to do in your rocks. Orange for pumpkins, green for cucumbers, red for tomatoes, and pink for strawberries.
- Paint the rocks with your desired color.
- Wait the rocks to dry before applying details, such eyes and mouth.
- When the rocks dried, you can now add the details that you want: an eye, nose, or leaves. Be creative as you can be.
- Voila! You now have garden markers made from rocks!
Gardening is one of the household chores that have both physical and mental health benefits. Keeping your garden healthy does not need to be boring and tiring. With few garden activities mentioned above, your gardening routine will be exciting and enjoyable.
About the author:
Jeric is a freelance writer that features food, lifestyle, travel, DIY subjects, and nature. He is an adventurer, taking on the world and everything it has to offer, may it be the good and the bad. He also has a weird love for reggae and sharks. See: Reggae Shark